- “More Utilities Make Big Commitments To Climate Action” • MidAmerican Energy will sell electricity generated from 100% renewable energy by 2020. The Platte River Power Authority pledged to provide 100% carbon-free energy by 2030. And Xcel Energy committed to eliminating 100% of its carbon emissions by 2050. [Natural Resources Defense Council]
- “Heat Waves As Deadly As Forest Fires Sweep Through World’s Oceans” • It is well known that the oceans are warming, but a study published in the journal Nature Climate Change is the first to examine ocean heat waves that last five days or more. The ocean heat waves are compared to “wildfires that take out huge areas of forest.” [CleanTechnica]
- “Top BP Manager: We Should Take Climate Change Seriously” • Companies in the world and the oil and gas industry need to start tackling in earnest climate change, Spencer Dale, group chief economist at supermajor BP, told The Washington Post in an interview. “All the climate arguments are real, urgent and important,” Dale said. [OilPrice.com]
- “Researchers Discover Efficient Way Of Producing Hydrogen To Power Electric Cars” • A team of researchers from the Chemistry Department of the University of Massachusetts, Lowell, has found a way to safely, cleanly and efficiently produce hydrogen gas that can be used to power the next generation of electric vehicles. [UMass Lowell]
- “Wyoming Passes Coal Support Bill In Spate Of Western Action To Save Ailing Plants” • The energy proposals across the West illustrate how state lawmakers are responding to the market transition away from coal power in the face of inaction from the White House. A Wyoming bill is designed to save coal plants that would otherwise retire. [Utility Dive]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.