- “100% Renewable Energy Plan For Illinois Tabled Including 6 GW Of Solar” • Illinois State Rep Will Davis announced the “Path to 100 Act,” introducing legislation that would bring the state to a 100% clean energy mix. It builds on the efforts of the Future Energy Jobs Act to spur renewable energy deployment across the state. [PV-Tech]
- “On Capitol Hill, New Calls For Rapid Action On Climate Change” • President Donald Trump did not mention climate change or environmental work in his State of the Union address. But on the following day, the US House Natural Resources Committee had its first hearing in eight years that focused on climate change. [CNN]
- “UN Warns World On Track To Breach 3°C Rise By 2100” • The UN report said the world was on track to have average global temperatures rise to 3°C by 2100, as record levels of man-made greenhouse gas emissions, mainly from burning fossil fuels, is trapping more heat in the Earth’s atmosphere. The increase is considered clearly dangerous. [ABC News]
- “Maine Wind Farm Looks To Contribute 250 MW Of Renewable Energy To RI” • EDP Renewables proposed to provide Rhode Island with energy from its Number Nine Wind Farm in Maine. The company says the wind farm could produce up to 250 MW, enough to power about 109,000 average Rhode Island homes. [GoLocalProv]
- “2018: The Year Fossil Fuels Began Their Inexorable Decline” • 2018 will likely go down as the year that fossil fuels in Australian electricity generation began an inexorable decline, with renewable energy making significant in-roads. These will continue into 2019 and 2020, and almost certainly they will go beyond that. [RenewEconomy]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.